Job Title: Operations Manager
Salary: The starting salary is £57,301 which includes allowances totalling £2,841.
The salary is broken down as £54,460 basic salary, which will increase annually until you reach the top of the scale £66,356 Plus, a location allowance of £1,841 and a non-pensionable allowance of £1,000.
Location: Charlton Car Pound, SE7 7HY and Perivale Car Pound UB6 7LR
Vehicle Recovery Examination Services (VRES) is a key part of the MPS drive to tackle vehicle crime on the streets of London. Working in partnership with a number of external agencies and MPS contractors we remove, recover, restore and dispose of vehicles that are involved in collisions; those involved in serious and organised crime that require forensic examinations; or those that are seized under Police powers for no insurance or unlicensed. We support frontline policing and operate 24/7/365, we have our own unique in-house policing team and a command-and-control team.
We currently operate out of two forensic car pounds, Perivale, and Charlton. Processing over 36,000 vehicles, we deal with everything from two-wheel bikes all the way up to and including HGV’s. Our work has a direct impact upon the service the MPS delivers Londoners, and it is vital we are able to continue to deliver this service to meet current and future demands.
Right now, it is a particularly exciting time to join the team. We are currently undergoing a full business review aimed at identifying smarter ways of working and potential new growth opportunities both internal and externally.
As part of the wider Vehicle Recovery and Examination Services (VRES) Senior Leadership team, you will be striving to keep London safe by ensuring a compliant, fit-for-purpose and available vehicle recovery, storage, restoration, and disposal service at the lowest possible cost to support operational policing demands and with a specific purpose:
- To champion the customer voice within VRES
- To build the bridge between customer requirements and front-line delivery
- To assist the Head of Customer Relationships and Operations in developing long term customer demand profiles
- To implement the customer strategy through development and deployment of tactical delivery plans, surge demand management and incident support
- Act as VRES business partner, be the champion of assigned customer groups and ensure that VRES brings its best to all customer engagements
- Lead collaboration with senior customer partnerships including chairing working groups to identify and implement service improvements
- Provide the bridge between future and current state for customer requirements and build the detailed demand plan with assigned customer groups
- Drive the tactical transition through channel switch from mundane, manual, labour intensive customer interactions exploiting digitalisation techniques, self-service portals and intelligent IVR systems to automate or remove the process entirely
- Engage with senior front-line officers and staff to establish short term customer demand and balance this within territories and assigned customers
- Deliver functional performance improvements and contribute towards the overall improvement of VRES
- Ensure compliance with H&S and COSHH obligations in respect to established MPS working practices and procedures
- Deliver daily, weekly, and monthly targets and report on KPIs
- Accurately translate medium term customer demand requirements into critical deliverable schemes of work
- Manage assigned team to deliver short to medium term functional objectives
- Manage assigned budgets to ensure that VRES works within its budgetary controls
- Manage and balance resourcing for assigned customer groups to provide effective and efficient 24/7 support to front line user groups, taking due account of the welfare of support staff
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with senior stakeholders in assigned customer groups
- Continually monitor wider VRES trends and developments outside of MPS to ensure VRES is at the forefront of its industry, including legislative and regulatory change
- Collect and analyse performance data for assigned customers
- Be the customer champion for continuous improvement, challenge existing practices and engage in and drive continuous improvement efforts
- Own standardised response plans for surge demand, planned and unplanned events, be ready to implement these when needed
- Provide an inclusive and innovative learning team environment, allow staff to grow, take responsibility for own actions and have the confidence to make effective decisions
- Evaluate staff performance, develop comprehensive training plans, ensuring all staff are aware of and able to work to VRES Management standards
- Organise training using appropriate methods in line with PDPs, career progression plans and future business requirements, own the skills matrix for assigned team
- Where required, support the delivery of ad hoc programmes, projects and continuous improvement initiatives across VRES and the wider MPS
- Contribute to ad hoc reviews of VRES performance
Please click on the below link to view an online candidate information pack that will you give you an insight into the Met, the competency framework we use which shapes our daily work behaviours, the application process and a host of other information, that will help inform and support your application:
Click the apply now button below and start your career at the Met. Applications will be via a detailed CV, Personal Statement and online application form. Your personal statement should outline why you are interested in the role and how your skills and experience demonstrate your suitability for the role. (NB. Please do not attach 2 copies of your CV).
Completed applications must be submitted by 5 December 2023.
- Has managed customer relationships at senior levels
- Has demonstrable experience of managing customer service delivery teams in similar complex, customer focused environments
- Has managed service performance levels with customers
- Has high level commercial awareness and strong business acumen, particularly in Finance and contract management
- Has proven experience in building and managing customer relationships
- Has experience of ensuring compliance with controls and processes, evaluating effectiveness and efficiency, and development of recovery plans
- Has managed change across complex multiple stakeholder and customer landscapes and, in particular, in customer service environments
- Can negotiate with customers and find win-win solutions to customer requirements and support needs
- Can travel across London and occasionally outside as required, full UK car licence required
- Can communicate using well-developed oral and written communication skills that can be adapted to suit the audience
- Can deliver business change, including leading operational staff though change
- Can produce and interpret complex data sets and develop customer insights from them
- Can deliver excellent customer service
- Knows how functional activities and priorities within a Public Sector, or other, complex, organisation at a senior level operate
- Knows the impact of customer support functions in asset availability management, how exhibits are processed and stored and the critical to success factors for customer focussed operations
- Knows how to manage customer expectations and balance supply and demand constraints
- Knows how complex operations fit together and can learn the organisational and governance structures within the MPS and how they interact with each other to deliver corporate priorities and objectives
- Understanding of significant complex legislative and regulatory constraints, e.g. RTA1988, Road Traffic Regs 1984, PACE legislation, public order, road death investigation practises and those relating to the removal, loading and unloading, transportation, seizure, storage and disposal of motor vehicles
The role will involve working Monday to Friday with varying start finish times to meet operational demands, role holders will be required to spread their working week across the two car pounds (Charlton and Perivale sites).
- Successful candidates will be expected to remain in their initial role for 2 years before applying for any other internal roles
Disability Confident Statement
The Met is committed to being an inclusive employer with a diverse and representative workforce at all levels. We encourage applications from people from the widest possible range of backgrounds, cultures and experiences. We particularly welcome applications from ethnic minority groups and females.
As a Disability Confident employer, the Met has committed to making disability equality part of our everyday practice. We ensure that people with disabilities and those with long term health conditions have the opportunities to fulfil their potential and realise their aspirations. If you consider yourself to have access, workplace or reasonable adjustment requirements that need to be accommodated, we ask that you include this information within your application form. All matters will be treated in strict confidence and will not affect any recruitment decisions.
This opportunity is closed to applications.