Digital Forensic Specialist
Job Title: Digital Forensic Specialist
Salary: £40,277 to £44,205 plus £3,003 location allowance. You will receive £40,277 the band minimum. Progress to the band maximum of £44,205 will be via incremental progression.
Location: Lambeth, London
All kinds of cases and the latest tech: discover life in the Met’s Digital Forensic team
When you’re part of the UK’s largest police service, you never know what the day could bring. For our Digital Forensic team, it means a stream of varied challenges involving cases of all kinds. As technology evolves ever faster, the team’s technical knowledge must keep pace, so as a Digital Forensic Specialist, you’ll have an outstanding opportunity to learn at the cutting-edge. Even better, you’ll play your part in protecting eight million Londoners. For exciting, worthwhile work, there’s no better place to be.
Working in our hi-tech Central Digital Forensic Laboratory, you’ll specialise in recovering data from mobile devices. It means examining complex cases and supporting diverse investigations. Where necessary, you’ll conduct and present research into novel methods of data extraction and analysis. You’ll also manage junior staff, write technical reports for the lab and give evidence as an expert witness. Part of a highly motivated team, you’ll give your best whatever the project or challenge.
Perhaps you’re working with another police service, a hi-tech crime unit or in the private sector. Whatever your background, you’ll have a BEng/BSc in a related subject or proven, substantial experience. You’ll know about modern operating systems, analytical techniques and forensic equipment and tools, as well as rules regarding evidence and relevant legislation. While this technical talent is important, it’s only part of the picture. You should also be prepared to work alone and as part of a team. A natural problem solver with good people skills, you’ll be happy to provide a DNA elimination sample if your application is successful.
In return, we offer great career opportunities and the chance to move between forensic departments within the organisation.
To apply, please visit our website to download a role specific information pack. Applications will be via a detailed CV and online application form.
Completed applications must be returned by 2nd April 2019.
We view diversity as fundamental to our success. To tackle today’s complex policing challenges, we need a workforce made up from all of London’s communities. Applications from across the community are therefore essential.
Key Responsibilities -
- Undertake digital forensic examinations including research into novel methods for the extraction and analysis of data from digital electronic devices.
- Manage workload
- Work in partnership with Directorate of Forensic Services and DCC managers to develop and deliver change
- Attend court as a technical witness and be able to offer expert evidence where appropriate
- Work individually and within a team to meet organisational objectives
- Collate and provide management information
- Ensure compliance with quality management systems, working to ISO 17025 standards
- Comply with all health and safety obligations
- To work within the Directorate’s Quality Management System and actively participate in the continuous improvement of the system by engaging in audits, competence tests, reporting non-conformances, etc and suggesting changes to improve the system.
- BEng/BSc in a related engineering subject such as electronics/software development/digital forensics/computer science/information security and/or significant relevant experience (must be evidenced).
- Experience using the equipment/tools used to recover, analyse and process digital data
- A technical understanding of modern operating systems, commonly used computing/communications devices and forensic analysis techniques
- Understanding of rules regarding evidence gathering and its presentation at court
- Working knowledge of relevant legal issues (CPIA, PACE and Human Rights Act etc.)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Ability to systematically undertake research and development projects
- Knowledge and understanding of communications devices and systems at a technical level
- Experience in a relevant coding/scripting language, e.g. C#.net, Python, Java, C, Objective-C
- Full driving license
- Court experience
- Knowledge and/or experience of working in a quality management system such as ISO 17025 or ISO 9001