Insurance Manager (Hybrid location: Office in Holborn/home)
Job Title: Insurance Manager
Salary: £39,469 to £47,089 plus a Location allowance of £1,721. You will receive £39,469 the band minimum. Progress to the band maximum of £47,089 will be via incremental progression.
Location: Hybrid: Holborn Police Station at least 2 days per week, rest from home/other MPS site
This role exists to assist the Head of Insurance and Claims Services ensure that the MPS
has an effective insurance programme and indemnity advice service for the management of
financial risk. In performing this role the MPS financial assets are protected from certain
- To manage an efficient, effective and timely Insurance Team on behalf of MPS, to ensure
MPS funds are spent appropriately
- Provide insurance and indemnity advice internally on operational policing, training and
community related events, by all forms of communication, dealing with complex enquiries
personally, overseeing the Insurance and Indemnity Officer providing advice, and referring
the most complex queries to the Head of Insurance and Claims as required. This includes
representing Insurance and Claims Services at MPS wide meetings and checking more
complex MPS guidance to ensure that insurance and indemnity information is accurate,
comprehensive and fit for purpose
- To continually improve Service Performance through day-to-day problem solving,
improvement projects and participating in IT enabled transformation projects.
- Arrange and maintain cross functional groups to consider significant financial risk exposures
faced by MPS, to inform the Insurance Strategy
- Conduct Estimated Maximum Loss assessments of insured and non-insured risks, in
conjunction with MPS stakeholders, to inform the Insurance Strategy
- Create and maintain disclosure packs for all lines of insurance cover, ensuring that
information from MPS operational areas is gathered appropriately and in a manner compliant with the Insurance Act 2015 and maintain a systematic method for creating disclosure packs and retention and retrieval of past disclosure packs
- Instruct renewal of insurance policies and mid-term changes within authority level and
ensure payment of insurance renewal and mid-term change invoices, in protection of MPS
- Manage the quality of insurance policy contract wordings: ensuring wordings are as broad as possible, driving out any grey and onerous requirements, to improve claims certainty
Maintain the Insurance Summary Register with as much certainty of cover as possible,
including supplementary cover guidance sheets, Identify and communicate policy condition requirements to stakeholders, especially warranties and conditions precedent to claims, to improve the likelihood of compliance with conditions in the event of an insurance claim
- Assist MPS operational areas in determining and recommending insurance solutions to
support their operational requirements, using insurance knowledge and experience
- Facilitate, attend and implement findings of Insurer Risk Management Surveys, by liaising
with MPS stakeholders, to reduce the risk of a claim and help mitigate insurance premiums
- Deal with any queries from the Insurance and Indemnity Officer regarding Personal
Insurance Indemnification Policy submissions from officers and staff
- Monitor and manage performance of contracts in relation to the provision of insurance broker services, by liaising with stakeholders and suppliers, to ensure an excellent performance
- Assist the Head of Insurance and Claims to respond to insurance and liability issues, to
minimise insurance premium spend and maximise value added
- Be the owner of the Insurance Management Office Manual, providing and reviewing content, to ensure content remains useful and accurate
- Respond to Freedom of Information requests by email via internal departments in order to
fulfil our statutory obligations and escalate any high-profile matters to the Head of I&CS
- To chair or attend meetings and workshops to represent interests of the MPS, as requested by Head of Insurance and Claims Services
- Be alert to opportunities to make improvements through enhanced cost effectiveness and
the pursuit of service excellence and make those changes
- Manage and supervise the work of the Insurance and Indemnity Officers and the Information and Reporting Officer
- Deputise for the Head of Insurance and Claims as required
Provide absence cover for the Insurance and Indemnity Officer and the Information and
- Identify claims related data likely to be useful insight in the management and reduction of
claims for the purposes of reporting to other MPS departments
- Perform tasks and projects as part of the I&CS management team, as directed by Head of
I&CS e.g. departmental Health & Safety Lead
- Oversee the provision of insurance support for operational areas with discrete or covert
assets led by the Insurance and Indemnity Officer, via systems, information and
- Control and comply with Health and Safety
- Make effective use of the MPS Intranet System 'Aware' to convey insurance information
- Ensure suitable arrangements are in place for vetting key insurers and other key contracted
third parties, identifying contracted parties who need to be vetted, in order to help protect the security of Met related information and assets
- Assist in the planning, process setting and MPS response to a riot event under the Riot
Damages Act, by liaising with stakeholders, in order to fulfil the MPS' statutory obligations
under the Riot Damages Act
- Deal with occasional claims under the Riot Damages Act
- Deal with claims under insurance policies other than Motor Insurance and Employers and
Public Liability Insurance e.g. travel, or personal accident, referring complexities or issues to
the Head of Insurance and Claims
- Purchase of MPS wide strategic insurance products (both corporate and operational specific
but all within budget constraints) - delegated authority up to £25,000 but higher where
appropriate (liaison with Procurement and MOPAC)
- Ensure MPS meets claims reporting requirements to insurers, by preparing reports and by
management of the Information and Reporting Officer, to ensure insurance policies remain
valid and competitively priced
- Commission/request Value at Risk valuations where required, in protection of MPS assets
by arranging insurance at appropriate level of cover
- To carry out housekeeping site visits following recommendations from external insurers, to
ensure that their advice/recommendations have been implemented, to reduce the risk of
accidents and losses
- Ensure arrangements are in place that insurance corporate knowledge is maintained up to
date and readily available through data storage, archiving and library retrieval systems
- Deal with contractual queries related to insurance requirements, from Commercial/Procurement and other colleagues, to enable procurement solutions
- Other tasks as required by the Head of Insurance and Claims Services (line manager)
- Daily face to face contact with the Insurance and Indemnity Officers and Information and
Reporting Officer to give instructions and receive referrals
- Weekly contact with the Head of Insurance and Claims (line manager) for instruction,
referrals and one-to-one meetings
- Weekly contact with other managers in the department as part of the Insurance & Claims
- Weekly contact with the contracted Insurance Broker and key insurers, in the management
of insurance programme related matters
- Weekly contact from Met officers and staff to support their discrete and covert operations
- Quarterly contact with key colleagues in other areas across the Met, in the consideration of
Estimated Maximum Loss exposures, to inform the Met’s Insurance Strategy
- Occasional contact with members of the Met Property Services Department, in the
management of issues arising from insurer property risk management surveys
- Occasional contact with colleagues in other departments across the Met, to gather
information required in the renewal process in preparing disclosure packs for insurance
renewals and to communicate insurance policy wording requirements for compliance
- Occasional telephone and email contact with insurance company claims departments in the
consideration of claims against the Met’s Insurance Programme
- Occasional site visits to Met premises, including accompanying insurer Risk Engineers
during risk surveys
- The role-holder has authority for insurance contract expenditure up to £25,000 per contract within an insurance programme budget in excess of £1m.
- The role holder has authority to issue Personal Insurance Indemnity Policy confirmations to the value of £500,000
- The role holder has authority to issue letters confirming insurance cover is in place, to the value of £20m
- The role holder has authority to develop and implement service standards and performance indicators in the delivery of insurance and indemnity advice across the Met
- A particular challenge is the degree of complexity of the insurance contracts, which require particular insurance knowledge, skills and experience to navigate effectively
- A particular challenge is the high degree of discretion and confidentiality required in
providing insurance support to MPS operational areas with discrete or covert assets
- A particular challenge is the ability to create incisive risk management advice by
assimilation of large claims data sets
- Time constraints exist in the tasks related to the management of the insurance programme, where timescales are fixed and must be met, lest the insurance protection arranged for the Met is prejudiced
- Budgetary constraints exist in the placing of insurance contracts and the insurance
programme requirements must be managed within a fixed budget envelope Impact
- The department responds to hundreds of insurance and indemnity related queries each
year, in protection of MPS’ assets and potential liabilities and to the benefit of risk
management, and this role is responsible for that advice directly and by supervision of staff
- Through its insurance programme the Met Insurance Programme transfers over £500m of financial risk from the Met to insurers and the annual insurance premium budget is in excess of £1m
The role has line management responsibility for:
- The Insurance and Indemnity Officers (2 FTE)
- The Information and Reporting Officer (1 FTE)
The role has no direct budget management responsibilities, but the role contributes to the
ability to manage an insurance premium budget in excess of £1m.
Insurance and Claims Services
The Insurance and Claims Services Team is part of Finance Services, within the Met’s
Corporate Services function.
The team performs a critical role for MPS through a claims management function and a strategic insurance programme and related internal insurable risk and indemnity services.
We respond to legal liability claims against the MPS, typically for road traffic accidents
involving MPS vehicles, including employer liability claims and for damage caused through
forced entries to premises in the execution of warranties. The team also manages recovery
of monies from third parties who are at fault in causing road traffic accidents involving MPS
The strategic insurance programme we manage protects the assets of the MPS and the
related internal insurable risk and indemnity services we provide informs and enables
operational areas of the MPS
This post requires access to the most sensitive intelligence material on a daily basis. Applicants must hold or be prepared to undergo National Security Vetting (NSV) Security Check (enhanced) (SC(e)) level before taking up the post; with a willingness to undergo Developed Vetting (DV) once in post, if required.
Please click on the below link to view an online candidate information pack that will you give you an insight into the Met, the competency framework we use which shapes our daily work behaviours, the application process and a host of other information, that will help inform and support your application:
Click the apply now button below and start your career at the Met. Applications will be via a detailed CV, Personal Statement and online application form. Your personal statement should outline why you are interested in the role and how your skills and experience demonstrate your suitability for the role. (NB. Please do not attach 2 copies of your CV).
Completed applications must be submitted by 14/12/2022.
We view diversity as fundamental to our success. To tackle today’s complex policing challenges, we need a workforce made up from all of London’s communities. Applications from across the community are therefore essential.
As a Disability Confident Committed Employer the Met have committed to ensuring that disabled people and those with long-term health conditions have the opportunities to fulfil their potential and realise their aspirations.
- Corporate Insurance Programme management; a broad understanding of the main classes of general insurance that form part of the Met’s Insurance Programme: general liabilities, motor and property.
- Insurance technical skills in a broad range of policy classes; most importantly general liabilities, motor and property
- Able to manage an insurance renewal process, including risk exposure information gathering, pre-renewal disclosure, claims reporting and instructing renewal
- Able to understand the complex detail within insurance policies, identify conditions, warranties, conditions precedent and to identify changes required to insurance policies to remove ambiguities and strengthen cover
- Relationship Management; able to manage and develop relationships with a partner insurance broker, key insurers and suppliers
- Ability to work to fixed timescales in the insurance renewal cycle and other time-critical situations
- Able to operate with a high degree of discretion and confidentiality in providing insurance support to MPS operational areas with discrete or covert assets.
- Experience of managing a Corporate Insurance Programme for an organisation, or experience of corporate programme management in an in-house, insurance broker or insurance company role.
- Chartered Institute of Insurance Certificate in Insurance as minimum.
- Familiar with risk management techniques in an insurance environment, including claims data analysis and risk management surveys
- Familiar with claims processes and procedures in a corporate environment
- Problem solving and a desire to seek and deliver continuous improvements in service, including contributing to the management of the Insurance and Claims Services Department as part of the Management Team.
- Experience of managing staff
- Experience of managing small projects and familiar with project management disciplines and terminology.
- Chartered Institute of Insurance Certificate in Insurance as minimum, Diploma or Advanced Diploma part/qualified preferred.
This opportunity is closed to applications.